Accelerate the SDGs with the SDG Ambition approach
At the UN General Assembly 2022, the message from UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was clear: We are running out of time, and the urgency to rise to the call of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is stronger now than ever.
Despite the many global challenges we face, the SDGs remain a blueprint for creating a better future for all on a safe and healthy planet – and future-proofing your organizations in the process. The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) along with the 2030 Agenda are still within reach, and provide the right compass for ‘building forward better’.
The SDG Ambition approach
The need for SDG Ambition today is clear. The world is not delivering progress towards the SDGs at the pace and scale needed. While it is still possible to shift the world towards a 1.5°C trajectory and achieve the SDGs by 2030, it will take urgent, scalable and multi-stakeholder action to dramatically accelerate progress. Companies must take a clear stand and demonstrate bold leadership to transform business models and economies so they become more just and inclusive – leaving no one behind. This is our starting line as we launch SDG Ambition.
SDG Ambition is a six-month accelerator initiative that aims to challenge and support participating companies of the UN Global Compact to set ambitious corporate targets aligned with the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and accelerate integration into core business and performance management. SDG Ambition enables companies to move beyond incremental progress and step-up transformative change – unlocking business value, building business resilience, and enabling long-term growth.
SDG Ambition Accelerator will not be conducted in Denmark at the moment. Instead, we facilitate SDG Ambition Catalyst – a three-month initiative on supporting businesses in taking ambitious corporate action for the Sustainable Development Goals. While the registration deadline for the current round of SDG Ambition Catalyst have passed (January 5, 2023), it is still possible for Global Compact members to go through the sessions containing a thorough walk-through of the SDG Ambition approach on the Academy platform.
If your company wants to engage in the six-month SDG Ambition programme, it is possible to register on a global scale. Read more about SDG Ambition 2023.
Led by the UN Global Compact in partnership with SAP and Accenture, SDG Ambition will empower and equip participating companies of the UN Global Compact to develop and implement innovative business strategies that significantly increase their positive impact on the SDGs. Through the Global Compact Local Networks in 70+ countries, participating companies will assess current performance, identify risk areas, discover new opportunities across business units and functions and take ambitious business action towards achieving the SDGs.
What you will learn
- How to strategically prioritize actions that will accelerate your company’s contribution to the 2030 Agenda
- How to set targets aligned with absolute benchmarks that today may seem aspirational but are critical to spearhead the transformation of economies and societies
- How to approach sustainability management differently and design new systems integrating the SDGs
- How to build a business case and generate sustainability buy-in from your company
What you will gain
- An understanding of baseline impacts across the business in creating a comprehensive sustainability strategy
- The ability to achieve ambitious goals aimed at galvanizing business action with what is actually required to achieve the SDGs
- An overview of how to integrate and mainstream ambitious sustainability goals across business units by pioneering a performance integration approach that utilizes enabling technologies
- An opportunity to communicate and track progress over time
- The foundational tools and understanding to build a business case
- Insight into industries with an outsized impact on the SDGs
- Ability to develop and share ambitious business actions on the SDGs alongside a diverse group of leaders from numerous corporations
- Certificate demonstrating completion of programme