Invest in the Next Generation of Innovators
The Young SDG Innovators Programme (YSIP) is a development programme designed to accelerate business innovation to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Young SDG Innovators Programme activates future business leaders and changemakers and challenges them to rethink traditional business models and unlock new business opportunities.
Young SDG Innovators Programme
The UN Global Compact Young SDG Innovators Programme (YSIP) engages young professionals from companies participating in the UN Global Compact around the world to learn how to use the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s) as a catalyst for the development of new products and services.
Each team of young Innovators will, over the course of 10 months, work on a challenge specific to their company with the goal of designing more sustainable business models, initiatives and products that will advance the company’s sustainability efforts while driving innovation and delivering tangible solutions with potential market value.
YSIP ran for the first time in 2019/2020 in 11 countries. In the Danish Network 36 Innovators from 19 different companies participated in the programme.
Global Compact Network Denmark will run YSIP again in 2021. If you are interested in participating, you can apply via the UN Global Compact’s website.
Application for YSIP runs until October 2020. However as spaces are limited we might close the application round before the deadline. Once your company has been accepted for the program, you will be able to nominate participants.
Please note that a participation fee will be introduced for the next round of YSIP (see below).
Important requirements and notes for YSIP 2021:
- The participation fee for YSIP 2021 is DKK 3.000 per person for Global Compact participants and DKK 5.000 per person for Global Compact signatories. Please contact your company’s Global Compact contact point if you are unsure in which category your company belongs.
- Companies must be represented by two-four participants.
- There will be additional costs for each participant in connection with the five individual bootcamps such as transportation, accommodation, communal dinners etc. We do not expect these costs to exceed DKK 2.000 per bootcamp.
- All companies participating in YSIP must allow the participants an adequate amount of time to actively participate in the program incl. attending all bootcamps and prepare for them (more details below).
- Organizations will not be able to join the programme as YSIP is a private sector initiative.
- The program will end in September/October 2021 with the Young SDG Innovators Summit in which all Innovators will get the opportunity to showcase their solutions and network with other Innovators from around the world. Location and exact date is TBC, but all participants are strongly encouraged to participate. Companies must cover accommodation, flight and potential communal dinners.
Timeline for YSIP 2021
Application and nomination deadline:
October 22, 2020
(Onboarding sessions in November and December 2020)
36 talented Innovators from 19 different companies participated in YSIP in Denmark. The Innovators had different backgrounds and represented both small and large companies from a range of different industries. Yet they had one thing in common: a deep interest in contributing to a better world through their careers.
The following companies were represented in YSIP 2019/2020:
- AIP Management
- Bacher Workwear
- Danske Bank
- EKF Danmarks Eksportkredit
- GN Store Nord
- PA Consulting
- Rainmaking Innovation Corporation
- Rambøll Group
Who can participate?
As a company member of the Global Compact Network Denmark, your company is eligible to nominate two-four high-performing young professionals for YSIP who are 35 years or younger and interested in business model innovation, sustainability, and disruptive technologies.
There is no set definition for the age of a young professional. Young professionals can be categorized as working individuals anywhere between the ages of 21 to 40. The age of 35 was selected as the upper age limit for the programme given that many demographic and population statistical organizations recognize young adulthood at being between the ages of 18 and 34.
The programme is designed to target employees that do not yet have senior management responsibilities and therefore have more time to dedicate to a 10-month development programme.
All companies participating in the UN Global Compact are eligible to take part in the programme as long as they are based in a country whose Global Compact Local Network is participating.
What do you commit to?
As a participating YSIP company, you commit to:
- Selecting two-four Innovators to take part in the programme for the full duration of 10-months;
- Allowing Innovators the time needed for full participation in the programme
- Identifying a Champion who will support the Innovator team internally within the company
Innovators are expected to attend five in-person 2-day workshops throughout the course of 10 months in addition to spending approximately 2-3 hours per week on online learning and activities, and group project development.
The participation fee for YSIP 2021 is DKK 3.000 per person for Global Compact Participants and DKK 5.000 per person for Global Compact Signatories. Please contact your company’s Global Compact contact point if you are unsure in which category your company belongs.
If you feel like you meet the programme’s requirements, you can also apply for yourself. However, all participants are required to have a Champion (supervisor) internally in the company.
The Young SDG Innovators programme is designed to engage your company’s brightest and best talent in not only advancing your sustainability efforts but driving innovation and delivering tangible solutions with potential market value for your company.
Learning and development resources.
A comprehensive curriculum with a blend of learning opportunities, including online and in-person workshops, case studies, company visits, and forum discussions.
Connect with other business units and collaborate on innovative projects relative to the company and industry.
Coaching, mentoring and peer-to-peer networking opportunities.
Build working relationships and learn from some of the brightest minds working on sustainability and innovation from around the world.
Be part of a global network of leading young professionals from some of the top companies across every continent.
Accelerate integration of the SDGs into your company’s business strategy through collaboration, innnovation, and knowledge sharing.
Create a culture of innovation to address the SDGs and showcase the programme’s tangible outputs and results.
Increase employee engagement and professional development opportunities for valued talent, including:
- High-quality, cutting-edge, and inspirational workshops from thought-leaders in the sustainability and disruptive technology fields.
- Opportunities to provide mentorship and leadership in the programme, collaborate with innovation experts, and share best practices.
- Tools, resources, and expertise by some of the leading innovative companies.
Gain global recognition for participation in the programme.