Science Based Targets
Peer Learning Group
A group for companies and organizations interested in or committed to the Science Based Targets Initiative
About the peer learning group
The peer learning group on Science Based Targets is for every company – big and small – that are either interested in committing to the initiative or already part of the initiative.
The main objectives of the group are therefore manifold:
- To provide guidance to companies interested in joining the initiative
- To share best practice and experiences setting climate targets through the initiative
- Discuss and solve significant challenges within specific industries and areas of climate target setting (e.g. scoping, scope 3 target setting, and measurement methodologies)
- Motivate other companies to join the initiative
As part of the group, you get the chance to participate in a series of webinars, workshops, and peer-learning sessions with themes ranging from how to secure buy-in on the initiative from top-management to how to measure Scope 3 emissions.
There will both be introductory and advanced activities in the group. Please also check out our program Climate Ambition Accelerator which provides basic and advanced learning opportunities for the Greenhouse Gas Protocol and Science Based Targets.
NB! To become part of the peer learning group, companies/organizations must be part of the UN Global Compact and a member of Global Compact Network Denmark.
About the Science Based Targets Initiative
The Science Based Targets (SBTi) is a non-profit initiative which mobilizes companies to set science-based climate targets and boost their competitive advantage in the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The initiative assesses and approves company targets, offers resources, workshops, and guidance, and showcases companies that are part of the initiative.
The initiative has enjoyed considerable success and commitment from companies all over the world reaching well over 3000 in the summer of 2022.
As of August 2022, over 100 Danish companies have committed to the initiative, most of them also committed to the UN Global Compact.
Science Based Targets is a collaboration between Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), World Resources Institute (WRI), and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
The steering committee will help identify the themes and agendas of each meeting and the long-term strategy of the group.
Current members of the steering committee:
- Malene Thiele, Director of Global ESG and Sustainability, Nilfisk
- Connie Enghus Theisen, Director Stakeholder Engagement, ROCKWOOL
- Flemming Lynge Nielsen, Sustainability Director, Danfoss
- Rune Joergensen, Head of Sustainability & ESG, Chr. Hansen
- Svend Brun Hansen, Lead Environmental Advisor, Ørsted
- Lilian Harbak, Global SME Environmental Performance, Vestas
- Wouter de Groot, Head of Sustainability, FLSmidth
- Jonas Engberg, Head of Climate, COOP
Science Based Targets resources
Call for best practice cases:
Supplier engagement in climate targets
Global Compact Network Denmark is seeking examples of innovative and effective supplier engagement for climate action from our member companies.
The 10-12 best cases will be featured in a report on Danish climate action on scope 3 with a focus on supplier engagement and is to be released in March 2023.
The purpose of the report is to inspire and motivate other companies to work with their suppliers to reduce emissions.
Decarbonizing the value chain is essential for companies to reach science-based targets and deliver on the Paris Agreement. Directly engaging suppliers can be an important and impactful means to get there.
The deadline for submitting your Best Practise case is on November 10, 2022.
We seek to highlight cases exemplifying diversity in sector, size, geography, and approach. Any climate action initiative involving supplier engagement can be submitted, but we especially encourage submissions which:
- Have resulted in concrete and substantial climate action in one or more of the company’s key suppliers.
- Demonstrate a creative approach to engaging suppliers in the company’s climate plans/targets.
- Aim to reach supplier engagement targets as part of the company’s Science Based Targets commitment.
- Involve collaboration with other companies using the same supplier/suppliers.
The shortlisted cases will be assessed and selected in collaboration with climate experts from BSR.