Science Based Targets
Peer Learning Group
A group for companies and organizations interested in or committed to the Science Based Targets Initiative
Do you want to learn how to commit to and work with the Science Based Targets initiative? Or is your company already committed and ready to advance its climate action? Then this is the peer learning group for you.
The private sector plays an essential role in ensuring a fast transition to a low-carbon economy globally. Moreover, as the transition unfolds, it is widely recognized that companies measuring and reducing their carbon emissions will:
- Be better prepared for tighter national and international climate regulation
- Be better positioned on a global market with growing consumer and customer demand for low-carbon solutions and services
- Have better access to finance with investors dealing with rising scrutiny and expectations with regards to environmental performance
Through the globally renowned Science Based Target initiative (SBTi) companies have the ability to set emissions reduction targets that are in line with climate science and the scenarios outlined in the Paris Climate Agreement.
The initiative is founded by the UN Global Compact, CDP, WRI, and WWF, it is based on the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, and every company with the right climate data and ambitions can join.
About the peer learning group
The peer learning group on Science Based Targets is for every company – big and small – that are either interested in committing to the initiative or already part of the initiative.
The main objectives of the group are therefore manifold:
- To provide guidance to companies interested in joining the initiative
- To share best practice and experiences setting climate targets through the initiative
- Discuss and solve significant challenges within specific industries and areas of climate target setting (e.g. scoping, scope 3 target setting, and measurement methodologies)
- Motivate other companies to join the initiative
As part of the group, you get the chance to participate in a series of webinars, workshops, and peer-learning sessions with themes ranging from how to secure buy-in on the initiative from top-management to how to measure Scope 3 emissions.
There will both be introductory and advanced activities in the group. Please also check out our program Climate Ambition Accelerator which provides basic and advanced learning opportunities for the Greenhouse Gas Protocol and Science Based Targets.
NB! To become part of the peer learning group, companies/organizations must be part of the UN Global Compact and a member of Global Compact Network Denmark.
About the Science Based Targets Initiative
The Science Based Targets (SBTi) is a non-profit initiative which mobilizes companies to set science-based climate targets and boost their competitive advantage in the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The initiative assesses and approves company targets, offers resources, workshops, and guidance, and showcases companies that are part of the initiative.
The initiative has enjoyed considerable success and commitment from companies all over the world reaching well over 900 in the summer of 2020.
So far, over 30 Danish companies have committed to the initiative, most of them also committed to the UN Global Compact.
Science Based Targets is a collaboration between Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), World Resources Institute (WRI), and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
The steering committee will help identify the themes and agendas of each meeting and help facilitate them.
Current members of the steering committee:
- Connie Enghus Theisen, Director Stakeholder Engagement, ROCKWOOL
- Flemming Lynge Nielsen, Sustainability Director, Danfoss
- Rune Joergensen, Sustainability Programme Manager, Chr. Hansen
- Svend Brun Hansen, Senior Environmental Advisor, Ørsted
- Søren Steenfeldt Møller-Sørensen, Sustainability Specialist, Global Procurement, Vestas
- Wouter de Groot, Head of Sustainability, FLSmidth
Science Based Targets resources
Business Ambition for 1.5°C
About the campaign
The campaign ‘Business Ambition for 1.5°C’ is an urgent call to action from a global coalition of UN agencies, business and industry leaders, in partnership with the Race to Zero.
The purpose of the campaign is to encourage companies to commit to set ambitious science-based emissions reduction targets that are in line with a 1.5°C future as outlined in the Paris Agreement, or to go even further and set long-term targets to reach net-zero emissions by no later than 2050.
To see which companies are already taking part, please visit the Science Based Targets initiative’s website.
How to join
Is your company ready to commit? Then please review the campaign ‘Commitment Letter’.
Please note that by joining the campaign your company commits to set climate targets through the Science Based Targets initiative.
NB! If your company joins the campaign before or on October 27, 2021, it will be celebrated at COP26 among the pioneers in this campaign for bold corporate action.